A virtual library of resources available for free to read and/or download surrounding spatial justice, gentrification, colonialism, and the right to the city. Categorizing can be hard, given that there’s always overlap in content, and categories aren’t mutually exclusive, but this list is a work in progress! Enjoy.
THE RIGHT TO THE CITY
- The Right to the City Alliance Platform (web)
- The Right to the City by David Harvey, New Left Review, 2008. (article)
- Rebel Cities: From the Right to the City to the Urban Revolution by David Harvey, 2012. (full book)
- Excavating Lefebvre: The Right to the City and its Urban Politics of the Inhabitant by Mark Purcell, 2002. (article)
- The Right to the City and Gendered Everyday Life by Tovi Fenster, 2005. (article)
- The Right to the City: Reflections on Theory and Practice, Melissa Garcia Lamarca, 2009. (polis blog)
- Gentrification by Loretta Lees, Tom Slater and Elvin Wyly. 2009. (full book)
- The New Urban Frontier: Gentrification and the Revanchist City by Neil Smith, 1996. (full book)
- New Globalism, New Urbanism: Gentrification as Global Urban Strategy by Neil Smith, 2002. (article)
- A reappraisal of gentrification: Towards a ‘Geography of Gentrification’ by Loretta Lees, 2000. (article)
- Whose Streets? Gentrification in Seattle in Intersections by Common Action, 2008. (zine)
- A Primer of Gentrification in Portland by Gray Ayer. (zine)
- What is Gentrification? by Tom Wetzel, 2004. (web)
- What is Gentrification? by Tom Slater, 2002. (web)
- Gentrification and Resistance in New York City by Kathe Newman and Elvin Wyly, 2005. (article)
- Moving On Up: Gentrification in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside by Harsha Walia and Dave Diewert, 2012. (web)
- Gentrification: The New Colonialism in the Modern Era by Jonathan L. Wharton, A, 2008.
- Artists, Aestheticisation and the Field of Gentriﬁcation by David Ley, 2003. (article)
- Discourses and Experiences of Social Mix in Gentrifying Neighbourhoods: a Montreal Case Study by Damaris Rose, 2004. (article)
- Gentrifying Downtown: a New Urban Politics is Tailoring Cities for Affluent Whites, but Communities are Pushing Back–with a theory of their own by Tony Roshan Samara, Colorlines Magazine, 2007. (article)
- Gentrification: who wins, who loses? by Paul Moses, 2006. (article)
An extensive reference list of gentrification work & literature can also be found on Tom Slater’s website.
GENTRIFICATION & ENVIRONMENTALISM
- Environmentalism and Gentrification: A Short Introduction to an Unholy Connection by Lizzy P, 2012. (zine)
RACE & SPATIAL JUSTICE
- Greening the ghetto by Majora Carter, 2006. (video)
- Race, Protest, and Public Space: Contextualizing Lefebvre in the U.S. City by Eugene J. McCann, 1999. (article)
- Sherene Razack, editor of Race, Space, and the Law: Unmapping a White Settler Society in conversation with Zoe Druick (interview)
(DE)COLONIZATION & INDIGENOUS SOVEREIGNTY
- Decolonizing Anarchism by Maia Ramnath, 2011. (full book)
- Colonization and Decolonization – A Manual for Indigenous Liberation in the 21st Century by Zig Zag, 2006. (zine)
- Colonization: A War for Territory by Zig Zag, published 1999, revised 2012. (web)
- Gunboats & Genocide: The Violent History of Colonization in ‘British Columbia’ by Warrior Publications, 2011. (web)
- Unsettling Ourselves: Reflections and Resources for Deconstructing Colonial Mentality – A Sourcebook by Unsettling Minnesota, 2009. (book)
- Housing Crisis? by Corporate Watch Magazine, 2011. (journal)
- People Without Homes and Homes Without People: A Count of Vacant Condos in Select NYC Neighbourhoods by the NYC Chapter of the Right to the City Alliance, 2010. (report)
- We Call These Projects Home: Solving the Housing Crisis from the Ground Up by the Right to the City Alliance, 2010. (report)
- The Quebec Housing Crisis (translated into English by RTTC Montreal), FRAPRU, 2002.
MILITARIZATION & POLICING
- Fortress Los Angeles: The Militarization of Urban Space by Mike Davis, 1992. (article)
TOWARDS AUTONOMOUS SPACES AND SELVES
- Why We Need Autonomous Spaces in the Fight Against Capitalism by Paul Chatterton and Stuart Hodkinson, in Do It Yourself: A Handbook for Changing our World. 2007. (article)
- Anarchism in Action: Methods, Tactics, Skills, and Ideas by Shawn Ewald.
- Educational Projects for Decolonization: Anti-Authoritarian Allyship and Resistance Education in the Americas by Anthony Meza-Wilson, 2003. (thesis)
- From Autonomous Space Towards Liberated Space: Some Points for Discussion and Debate anonymous, 2012.
ALLYSHIP & SOLIDARITY
- Privilege, Allyship, & Safe Space.
- Anti-Racism and White Allyship Resources
- SO YOU WANT TO BE AN ALLY! A zine on anti-oppression, allyship, and being a less shitty person.
- Understanding Colonizer Status by Waziyatawin, Unsettling Ourselves.
- Solidarity not Charity: Racism in Katrina Relief Work by Molly McCure, 2011.